Understanding gnome-power-manager

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 14:55:31 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-07-23 at 16:01 +0200, Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
> Hi.
>
> In order to track down an annoying bug on my X60s I'd like a
> quick explanation of the various "related events" that g-p-m
> is able to draw into it's graphs.

Sure. This needs to be in the help file, those with better persuasion of
English than me welcome to submit patches :-)

> Especially what "Session {active,idle,powersafe}" exactly mean,
> whos decision they are, and what happens while transisting from one
> state to the other.

active = mouse moved within last idle time
powersave = session inactive for a few seconds
idle = session inactive for time set in gnome-screensaver

so we get:

{idle}
active -> powersave -> idle

{mouse moved}
idle -> active

Inhibit() also stops the machine going to idle, and a g-s inhibit stops
the machine going to powersave.

Does that make things clearer?

Richard