NOTE: Please publicize any license changes to your packages

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Thu Jul 26 08:02:43 UTC 2007

Le Mer 25 juillet 2007 17:20, Horst H. von Brand a écrit :
> Chuck Anderson <cra at WPI.EDU> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> Additionally, if the -devel packages were split on license
>> boundaries,
>> then perhaps the buildsystem could flag attempts to link to
>> incompatibly-licensed libararies.
>
> This is worse than I feared the fabled GPLv3 fallout could be...

Don't be ridiculous, we're addressing this now because some people
have decided to make GPLv3 an issue, but licence tagging and checking
is a longstanding problem which was going to bite us sooner or later
once Fedora expanded from a small well-known core to a huge package
collection.

Some software pools have standardised on a single well-understood
licence. Many haven't and this was true before the GPLv3 endeavour was
announced.

--
Nicolas Mailhot