Automate time zone selection (Was: RFE: use nasa worldwind...)

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at seznam.cz
Fri Jun 1 20:14:57 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-06-01 at 21:41 +0200, chasd wrote:
> > Martin Sourada wrote:
>
> > 1. from IP get your location on Earth (or somewhere else? :-D), no
> > need
> > for precision, if time zone is OK, than location is precise enough.
>
> Where on Earth are these addresses :
>
> 10.0.0.1
> 172.16.0.1
> 192.168.0.1
> 127.0.0.1

let's say it thus: these are not public addresses (AFAIK). Many of the
computers actually have only local IPs only and are connected to
internet via single public IP. And for timezone selection is public
address enough. Of course there can be problems on the borders, but if
system is unsure which timezone is the right one, user could be queued
to check it (and even select one from much shorter list of
timezones/cities).

> and indeed
>
> fc00::/7

Ugh? What is that? Never seen something similar to that, save IPv6
addresses which are however usually quite longer. IPv6s, IMHO, could be
handled similar to classic IPs, only we would need bigger database...

> What about systems with more than one interface / address - which one
> do you pick ?

The public one.

> Also realize not all computers may be on Earth ( ISS, etc. )

Well, these are not likely to have Fedora on themselves and if they
have, there will certainly not be a very big number IPs (at least not in
near future). Don't know which timezone (if any) is used in space...

> If you build it, don't build it so it only works only now and in only
> the simplest situations.

Hm... do you think we should think, from the beginning, about Mars
timezones, for example? I think, better idea is start with standard IPs
only and Earth only. When it works then wider it to IPv6 and then start
to include time in Space (which is an issue all by itself, as e.g. Mars
has longer days and years then Earth, and people want to colonise Mars
in the future, don't they?)...

> Charles Dostale

Martin