Don't put new packages through updates-testing

Michael Schwendt mschwendt.tmp0701.nospam at arcor.de
Sat Jun 2 10:28:39 UTC 2007

On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 15:25:04 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> >> We need to sit down and define the details more precisely if we agree
> >> with the fundamental idea.
> >
> > Don't you fear that it would drive away reviewers?
>
> I does raise the bar a bit on the reviewers. I fear more that we are
> driving away users by the mentality around pushing packaging and waiting
> for bug reports to arrive that the package is basically broken.  If we
> continue along that path more we won't be left with much users.

You're pushing at the wrong side.

That FESCO has neglected to pursue some important goals [of the past] is
no secret. The community has lost control over what used to be a
community-driven Fedora Extras. The new updates system has been advertised
for many months as offering QA features, such as a repoclosure that would
prevent broken dependencies from entering the repo. Instead, our precious
users are confronted with what I consider an extremely questionable
updates-testing strategy that doesn't fix their typical problems. Add to
that a repository structure that has turnt into a playground and a moving
target for our users.