The community has lost control... (Was: Re: Don't put new packages through updates-testing)

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Sun Jun 3 13:27:50 UTC 2007

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Sunday 03 June 2007 02:48:35 Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>> Well, see all those discussion that happened when ACLs were added, kjoi
>> introduced, the freezes were introduced and bodi put in place. Sure,
>> there are always discussions, but all those were quite worse and there
>> was a lot of confusion afaics... Don't read fedora-maintainers for a
>> week and suddenly you are not aware of how to build or push a package.
>
> So without reading the mailing list for maintainers, nor reading wiki pages
> that were put up, how do you expect people to notice changes?  Should we keep
> track of phone numbers and start war dialing?  Email bomb people's inboxes?
> A lot of the "surprised" people were people that just tried to do things as
> normal and found that there were changes.  Then instead of looking through
> the list for them or the wiki pages, they just posted and said "WHO CHANGED
> MY STUFF!  REGRESSION!"  Seriously I think it's rather impossible to make a
> change and have people be prepared for that change if said people never read
> appropriate mailing lists or monitor wiki pages.

Thats not entirely fair. There is a loots of traffic on the maintainers /
developer lists and much of the needed information is hidden deep down in
subject wise only semi or irrelevant threads. There have been little clear
announcements of changes, and when they were there the info was far from complete.

As for the wiki that is currently very much out of sync with how things are
done in the merged world / out of sync with reality.

Regards,

Hans