The community has lost control... (Was: Re: Don't put new packages through updates-testing)

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sun Jun 3 14:05:14 UTC 2007

On 03.06.2007 15:54, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-06-03 at 15:36 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>>> So without reading the mailing list for maintainers,
>> A low-traffic fedora-maintainers-announce was requested multiple times
>> as some contributors mentioned that fedora-maintainers is to noisy for
>> them.
> One way traffic is inappropriate for a community project.

Ralf, I appreciate your opinions. But where did I say that that would
mean "One way traffic"? That was and is nowhere written or meant. Just
as fedora-extras-commit for example the fedora-maintainers-annouce list
would have a reply to another mailing list where those that want to
discuss something can discuss it. The plan was actually to subscribe
fedora-maintainers to fedora-maintainers-annouce, so announcements show
up on both list.

>> Like it or not, but for some people fedora-maintainers has to much
>> traffic;
> Then they better should not be maintainers!
>
> This is Fedora, a wanna-be community project. Community projects live
> from communication. If you want it to be success, these people will have
> to leave their secret chambers and crawl into the light ;)

Some community members just want to maintain their private pet-package.

Those probably do not care if that much if there are two or eight steps
to get a package pushed (as long as it's documented somewhere). You on
the other hand do and you are right with it.

But forcing maintainers to read a high-traffic mailing list just because
they want to maintaining one package is likely something they care
about. So let's please make package maintaining easy for them, too.

> [...]

CU
knurd