Why isn't emacs installed by default

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Mon Jun 4 14:28:37 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jun 04, 2007 at 04:21:02PM +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> Le Lun 4 juin 2007 15:14, Patrice Dumas a écrit :
>
> > Still I agree that the userbases are reduced, those environments
> > have to follow where the innovations are (in kde and gnome in
> > general), but as I said otherwise, their simplicity leads to less
> development
> > needed in general.
>
> Less development maybe but not less maintenance when you reach the
> point they don't use the same libs as everyone else. That's when
> problems begin generaly.

In general those apps are only based on X, so that's not too
problematic, even though sometime at least some apps are based on old
widget libs, and then things may indeed become problematic, like what
happens for lesstif and motif based apps. There is also libdockapp, but
it is very light. As a side note some of the apps that are very usefull
in those environments are based on gtk (but not on gnome).

--
Pat