fc7 i386, yum and explicit dependencies

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at seznam.cz
Tue Jun 5 21:10:43 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-06-05 at 22:59 +0200, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> Hi all... I must be missing something obvious or I have not noticed this
> behavior before...
>
> I'm in the process of building a bunch of packages for fedora 7 and
> tried installing them on a brand new i386 install through a meta package
> (ie: a package that only contains explicit dependencies using Requires:
> and installs all required packages as a side effect). There _are_
> packages missing but yum happily goes ahead and installs the meta
> package and the dependencies it can find, and ignores the missing
> dependencies! Is this expected behavior??
>
> A "package-cleanup --problems" does show the missing dependencies. How
> can yum install something which does not have its dependencies met? It
> seems to me like a very very basic bug in yum...
>
> -- Fernando

Does this happen in CLi or in the gui frontend? I installed several
packages throught the gui short after the install and it missed even
deps that were in the repos. However, recently I attempted to do "yum
update", which failed due to firefox, so I did "yum --exclude=firefox
update", which again failed, because some packages that wanted update
needed newer firefox. What was however my shock, when I did "yum
--exclude firefox update": it updated all packages that had deps on
newer firefox, and updated firefox-devel. That broke my epiphany, as it
was updated against newer firefox, whilst epiphany-extensions was still
for older one and installed firefox was the older one. Luckily I fixed
it by running "yum --enablerepo=updates-testing update firefox" which
updated all the rest of packages depending on old firefox and firefox
itself.

I too wonder whether this behaviour is expected, or whether is it a bug.