fedora for ARM

Brendan Conoboy blc at redhat.com
Wed Jun 6 19:46:56 UTC 2007

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>>  There are indeed some hacks around rpm to make the packahes
>> think they are being build nativly, but what I've seen these are very gross
>> hacks and still break often.
> Well, RH's rpm and redhat-rpm-config are grossly broken when it comes to
> cross-building rpms. Many things work once you kick redhat-rpm-config
> out :(

Hi Ralf,

Do you think that redhat-rpm-config is fundamentally broken, or does it
simply need to be made more cross friendly?  Like others on the list, I
am a strong advocate of cross building on platforms that are either
slower or scarcer than make for good build hosts.  From your posts it
seems like problems with redhat-rpm-config have been longstanding for
you, so I wonder if you have some suggestions on what needs to be done
(even if you don't have the time to do it yourself).

>> Native compiling definitively is the way to go,
> This is only applicable for sufficiently performing targets.
> Esp. for low end targets this is close to impossible.

Exactly.

>>  an alternative might be
>> emulating the native system and building in the emulated system.
> With a few exceptions, in practice, this is rarely applicable, esp. when
> it comes to "less mainstream" targets.

There is something to be said for target emulation or
run-parts-of-the-build-on-hardware solutions, but I think the best
answer is one where any available host can compile Fedora for any target.

Brendan Conoboy / Red Hat, Inc. / blc at redhat.com