fc7 i386, yum and explicit dependencies

Thu Jun 7 00:39:15 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-06-05 at 17:49 -0700, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-06-05 at 17:50 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
> > Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> > > There _are_
> > > packages missing but yum happily goes ahead and installs the meta
> > > package and the dependencies it can find, and ignores the missing
> > > dependencies! Is this expected behavior??
> >
> > No.  Concrete example(s)?
>
> It is a rather long install which I just reproduced. Erased all
> pertinent packages, then:
>
>   > yum clean all
> (just in case)
>
>   > yum install planetccrma-apps
>
> After the install goes through (181 packages, see the log in the first
> attachment to this email) I get this:
>
> ----
>   > package-cleanup --problems
> Setting up yum
> Reading local RPM database
> Processing all local requires
> Missing dependencies:
> Package planetccrma-apps requires avifile
> Package planetccrma-apps requires ayam
> Package planetccrma-apps requires bristol
> Package planetccrma-apps requires cinelerra
[MUNCH]
> ----
>
> At this point yum installed a meta package and did not install all the
> dependencies mentioned in the package. The first time I tried I got
> really surprised because I _knew_ there were a lot of things missing.
>
> If I then do:
>   > rpm -e planetccrma-apps
>
> and then try again I get what should have happened in the first place:
>
>   > yum install planetccrma-apps
> Setting up Install Process
> Parsing package install arguments
> Resolving Dependencies
> --> Running transaction check
[MUNCH]
> Error: Missing Dependency: libfishsound is needed by package
> planetccrma-apps
[MUNCH]

An update which may add a bit more detail.

Today I added more packages to the repository that contains what is
required by the planetccrma-apps meta package.

I erased the planetccrma-apps package:

  > rpm -e planetccrma-apps

Then I reinstalled it (it is the same package as before with the same
requirements - the only change is that I added more packages to the
repository so that more, but not _all_, requirements are met).

  > yum install planetccrma-apps

It happily went ahead and added the new packages but again ignored the
missing ones. Looks like a pattern of behavior[*]. After installing
successfully the meta package again, the machine is left with unmet
dependencies.

Again, if I now erase planetccrma-apps and try reinstalling it, it fails
as it should have the first time.

Puzzling but completely repeatable. Is there anything I could do to help
debug this? Looks like a pretty severe bug.

-- Fernando

[*] at this point my guess is:

package with explicit named package dependencies (non-versioned). No
other dependencies.

if we try to install and some deps are available then it goes ahead and
installs them ignoring any missing deps.

if we try to install and all missing deps are missing then it complains
with an error as it should.