fedora for ARM

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Thu Jun 7 09:51:22 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-06-06 at 16:16 -0600, Brendan Conoboy wrote:
> > Supporting cross-compiling would be great, but having spent a several
> > weeks fighting with Python and its libraries last year and losing, I
> > suspect scouring the other nine zillion Fedora packages for
>
> Packages like Python and Perl do take some work, but a number of
> individuals have already done that work.  Multiple times.  Multiple
> approaches.  Fedora becoming cross friendly could have the effect of
> unifying those efforts, getting cross changes upstream, ending all the
> waste.

I like the idea, really. But we're seeing serious resistance to the
suggestion that package maintainers should even have to look at _native_
build failures on architectures which used to build, even though such
failures are _often_ indicative of a generic problem and not an
arch-specific problem.

Do you really think we're going to get them to care about cross builds
too? I _did_ care about cross-compilation, and I gave up on it. I really
don't think we have much chance of getting package maintainers (and
upstreams) to handle it. Unfortunately.

--
dwmw2