RFR: GIT Package VCS

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 16:21:35 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-06-06 at 13:50 -0400, Christopher Blizzard wrote:
> o Do we want to move to a process where code is just in a repo and it's
> built automatically instead of source + patches + spec file?

I have a lot more to say on this topic but for now I'd like to just
mention this Ubuntu page:
  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NoMoreSourcePackages

Debian and Ubuntu's build methodology is much worse (IMHO) than ours so
their need for this is much greater than ours (but it seems that they're
dropping the ball a bit... Ubuntu is working on something called the
Hypothetical Changeset Tool, but I haven't been able to find any source
for it and the developer hasn't replied to me yet.)

The link has a complete process for something not quite at the same
stage as you're proposing here (there'd still be a spec file and patches
and delivery would still be via rpm... but the patches would be held in
the VCS as changes against the vanilla upstream source).  It's
definitely good reading as it outlines a complete implementation of
exploded trees that we can compare our schemes against :-)

-Toshio