RFR: GIT Package VCS

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Thu Jun 7 18:37:39 UTC 2007

Le jeudi 07 juin 2007 à 11:06 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi a écrit :

> Absolutely -- they have different reasons for wanting this than we do.

Wanting what?

If what = kill centralised cvs for modern scm exploded trees, with
cvs/svn/whatever gateways, while keeping the current srpm export/import
modes, why not

If what = get everyone to use _insert_preferred_scm_there and kill other
access modes → not good

> Our reasons are:
> 1) Better able to work with upstream

Upstreams do not agree on scm choices (when they use one)

> 2) Better able to rebase our local changes.

We don't want to get good at local changes, we want to push changes
upstream, and even cvs is good enough for our basic rebasing needs today

> 3) Better able to see how our changes have been modified over time.

See 2.

IMHO the killer argument for SCM changes is the unconnected mode new
scms offer, but any package that needs something else than CVS because
of your 1 2 3 is in deep trouble.

--
Nicolas Mailhot