RFR: GIT Package VCS

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Fri Jun 8 11:13:26 UTC 2007

On Friday 08 June 2007 06:59:08 Josh Boyer wrote:
> That then begs the question as to why we can't have a simple 'make
> explode' target.  Or why people can't do 'make sources' + untar
> themselves, or run rpmbuild -bp..

Well, untar every time and then check into an SCM to bang against may not be
efficient.  You want the source already there and some history with your
patches so that the patch management system can work if you so choose to use
it.

> For the vast majority of packages, I don't think having an exploded tree
> in the SCM helps anything.  And it simply adds more overhead for those
> packages.

What I envisioned is when you imported a new source it would take care of
updating the optional exploaded directory for you.  When a maintainer checks
out a module from the package scm they get patches/spec/sources file per
usual.  They could optionally ask to get the exploaded tree for more indepth
work, but it would be an optional thing.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora