Re: The updates firehose

On Sun, 2007-06-10 at 11:54 +0200, Joachim Frieben wrote:
> > yum-presto will help a lot more. But maybe there should be also delta-xml
> > files for the repository metadata, because it takes very long to download
> > these, too, with a slow connection.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Till
>
> Right, this is a very serious point. Right now, the meta data in my /var/cache/yum/development amounts to about 65 MB which alone would take 5 hours to download via a standard analog modem connection!

I'm looking into generating deltas for the xml, but there are a few
other things on my plate at the moment.  The real issue is that it's not
always xml files that we download...sometimes we get sqlite files.

What we need is to have a program that uses the modified bsdiff
algorithm in deltarpm to generate differences between regular files, not
just deltarpms.

Jonathan