To Require yelp or not to require yelp

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Tue Jun 12 04:27:53 UTC 2007

Matej Cepl wrote:
> On 2007-06-11, 17:09 GMT, Bill Nottingham wrote:
>> Ray Strode (halfline at gmail.com) said:
>>> It doesn't matter a whole lot either way, but I guess if we think
>>> about help as an optional feature, then we shouldn't put the Requires
>>> in libgnomeui.
>> Why should help be an optional feature?
>
> +1 !!! (because geeks don't care about lusers? Wasn't Gnome meant
> to be for non-geeks?)

-1.  What desktop should the geeks be using then?  Since we support
people with various disabilities, then we should support geeks
too :-)

The serious argument is: something is "optional" when it is
not strictly required by the application to provide its core
functionality.

Saying that help is useful for newbies or lusers is pointless.
Optional stuff is always useful to somebody, otherwise it wouldn't
have been done in the first place.

So, online help is *clearly* an optional desktop feature.  People
using systems with limited disk space, like the OLPC users, will
want to remove it.

--
   // Bernardo Innocenti
 \X/  http://www.codewiz.org/