The updates firehose

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jun 12 07:32:21 UTC 2007

Will Woods wrote:

> Debian's popcon[0] utility does almost exactly that. This would
> make a nice counterpart to smolt - where smolt tracks what hardware
> people are using, popcon tracks what *software* they're using. It's all
> proven, open-source stuff - adding this as a feature for F8 wouldn't be
> hard.

I haven't looked at how popcon works. If you can port it easily that
would be fine. Otherwise adding a optional package listing in Smolt
(changing it from a hardware to system profiler) might also be good.

> On the other hand, I don't want to duplicate code. Since we're already
> talking about more Mugshot-y stuff in F8[1], maybe it makes sense to
> extend the Mugshot application info-gathering backend to work more like
> popcon. Perhaps it would need to be split out from Mugshot so people who
> don't care about Mugshot can still opt to collect and submit stats.
>
> Thoughts?

Mugshot folks don't seem to be interested in splitting out code when I
asked in fedora-desktop list. From the description it appears that the
code is not going to useful outside of mugshot. Talk to them again anyway.

Rahul