The updates firehose

Colin Walters walters at redhat.com
Tue Jun 12 20:47:19 UTC 2007

> Mugshot folks don't seem to be interested in splitting out code when I
> asked in fedora-desktop list. From the description it appears that the
> code is not going to useful outside of mugshot. Talk to them again anyway.

I can't think of much from the Mugshot code that would be directly
reusable for package installation stats.  Desktop applications people
are interested in (what Mugshot tracks) and RPM packages installed on a
computer are only distantly related.

At least on the client side I'm not sure how much more complicated it
would get than a POST of the output of rpm -qa to a fedora server (i.e.
a few lines of Python) in /etc/cron.whatever.

On the server side I'd just reuse the smolt code.