Fedora and Cross Compiling

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Wed Jun 13 08:06:01 UTC 2007

Hans de Goede wrote:

> You don't get my objectino, I'm crossing from Fedora but not too Fedora,
> therefore what is in Fedora's specfile is completely irrelevant. Extreme
> example, the sdcc cross-compiler already in Fedora. This crosses from
> Fedora to 8051 (and other) microcontrollers. It uses its own assembler
> and is its own C-compiler, binutils and gcc are not used at all (except
> for building the asm / compiler themselves, duh). Should the sdcc
> specfile be a pathc on top of gcc's specfile, a patch effectively
> replacing 100% of it, just because its a c-compiler too?

Should Fedora packages have to deal with it at all "just because its a
c-compiler too?"  I think the scenario of striving to be able to build
glibc for 8051 on sdcc needs to be triaged into a different discussion.

What seems to be in the world of the possible is to retrofit the Fedora
- Fedora cross case into what exists already.  The benefits that fall
out of that in terms of regularizing upstreams for cross and making
definitive cross recipes (for gcc anyway!) will only help everyone else.

-Andy