Upgrade path question

Adam Jackson ajackson at redhat.com
Wed Jun 27 17:21:47 UTC 2007

The received wisdom seems to be "Only care about upgrades with stride <=
2", meaning, FC5 to F7 should work, but FC1 to F7 is madness.  Is this
written down anywhere, or just tribal knowledge?

I ask because there's a fair bit of cruft in the X packages to handle
things like Obsoletes: XFree86.  We haven't shipped that since FC2, so
it's hard to still care.

I also don't know how closely this is tied to RHEL construction.  So
far, RHELs have been issued every other Fedora, so that might be the
source of the "stride 2" idea.  Maybe that won't be true in the future?
Who knows.  And if it isn't true, maybe that's just Red Hat's cross to
bear.

I don't see this in any of the packaging docs in a brief search, so if
we could get this written down that'd be helpful.

- ajax