portage vs yum

Kelly lightsolphoenix at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 02:52:05 UTC 2007

On Wednesday, June 27, 2007 9:51 pm Thufir wrote:
> Going back to expediency, ebuild ease of creation versus rpm ease of
> creation:  e-builds are easier due to the looser integration?  What are
> other factors, please?

I don't know about ebuilds, but RPM's are insanely easy to build if you know
how.  I mean, you can tear off a huge collection of RPM's in a very short
time with a bit of knowledge of the spec file, and technically generating
your own RPM's = compiling from source anyway (I did 5 packages yesterday in
half an hour, though I doubt they'd fit the project's guidelines...).

I much prefer RPM to other systems I've used to handle this sort of thing,
because they're easy to make and easy to use.