portage vs yum

David Nielsen david at lovesunix.net
Fri Jun 29 09:14:10 UTC 2007

fre, 29 06 2007 kl. 08:34 +0000, skrev Thufir:
> On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 08:08:22 +0200, David Nielsen wrote:
>
> > As someone with a lengthy past in the Gentoo world I will be happy to
> > provide you a list of the kinds of bug reports that would cause but
> > let's not embarrass anyone with the horror stories.
>
> I admit to great ignorance as the actual coding involved, and was giving
> my impression.
>
> However, leaving aside my particular solution, do you see the same problem
> (s) as me?  constantly adding third party yum repository's, which are
> always behind, and repeatedly having to go outside of yum to install
> stuff?  Surely there *must* be something better than yum.  what?
>
> I meant my post, yes, as a direct challenge to the status quoue, but in a
> good spirit; in which spirit it seems to have been taken.

As for 3rd part repos I use the Fedora one and Livna. If an application
you need is missing then you can add it to the wishlist on the wiki and
we'll get around to packaging it (bearing legality of course). I use the
Development branch and even in that setting I rarely experience problems
with dependencies.

- David