gl debugging help requested

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Fri Jun 29 13:34:21 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-06-29 at 10:14 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:

> I've seen many glGenTextures crashes in games I've packaged, esp. on 64 bit.
> Usually the problem is that glGenTextures gets called before a glContext has
> been created. All proprietary GL implementations are fine with this, but Mesa
> will crash, esp on 64 bit (but I've seen this on 32 bit too).
>
> Let me know if you need more help.

The code in question looks like this:

      unsigned char* data = read_png_file (m_file_name);

      GLuint texture_id;
      glGenTextures (1, &texture_id);
      glBindTexture (GL_TEXTURE_2D, texture_id);
      set_gl_parameters (data, smooth, mip_map, texture_wrap);
      m_texture_name = texture_id;
      delete [] data;
      ms_image_cache [m_file_name] =
        Cached_Image (m_texture_name, m_width_pixels, m_height_pixels);

All of the reference code I could find on google seemed to be similar,
declare the GLuint variable, then initialize it with glGenTextures.

Is there something obviously wrong here?

Any help is appreciated,

~spot