Re: Fedora safe/recovery mode

Thomas M Steenholdt wrote:

> On runlevel 2-5, the user is presented with a login screen. I haven't
> tested this in fedora for some months, but last I checked, runlevel 1
> dropped the user directly in a root shell.

Other distros ask for the root password, but I prefer the Fedora way.

Rationale: if I can tell grub to boot in single-user mode, then I
can also edit the kernel command line to add "init=/bin/bash" and
skip the password prompt altogether.

If you want the local console to be secure, you'd need to set
a bios password, grub password, disable floppy/cdrom boot and
probably also lock the case so it can't be tampered.

 \X/  http://www.develer.com/