Re: Hal and device identification

On Tue, 2007-03-06 at 22:21 -0600, Mike McGrath wrote:
> I've got a usb disk, hal finds it and identifies it as a JUMPDRIVE
> ELITE.  This value is not in /usr/share/hwdata/usb.ids.  My question is
> where did hal get this info, and how can I retrieve it given only the
> vendor id and device id (5dc:a400)

The kernel may exports vendor/product names in sysfs (the files are
called 'manufacturer' and 'product') that is retrieved as part of the
probing (see section 9.6.1 of the USB 2.0 spec). If these files are not
available, HAL consults the usb.ids file. Btw, in the future it's better
to ask such questions on hal lists freedesktop org

    David