Re: VNC development plan - discuss

On Tue, 2007-03-06 at 17:58 +0100, Adam Tkac wrote:
> Alexander Larsson napsal(a):

> >> I don't think that integrating to specified environment is useful in
> >> this case. In my opinion kde & gnome use same xserver with same policies
> >> so vino and krfb (and x11vnc) is more about xserver than about specific
> >> UIs. This is main argument why could be these programs merged to one. It
> >> is very easy write simple GUI with two buttons - "start remote desktop"
> >> and "stop remote desktop" - which could works under gnome and kde and
> >> other window managers.
> >>

> > How is it not important that they are properly integrated into the
> > desktop? Your proposal sounds very simple and ugly compared to the slick
> > integration of e.g. vino.
> >

> I don't said that integration is unimportant. I said that both of krfb
> and vino is much more about xserver than about window manager. Only one
> think could be integrated with specified window manager - button "start
> remote desktop" and "stop remote desktop".

That's not good enough. Vino is not only a vnc server, but also tightly
integrated with the desktop. I can tell somebody over the phone 'Go to
Preferences - Remote Desktop, enable it, enter a password, show
notifications, allow shared control etc' rather than 'Alt+F2, gnome-
-terminal, edit some files to setup your password then open an
application to click start remote desktop.' My non-tech sister was able
to handle the 1st option.

As Mark and others said, a common library between vino and krfb on
freedesktop.org is the way if you want to reduce the code qty. Maybe it
can also be used by clients like tsclient.

Marius Andreiana