Re: announce: readahead-1.4

CL> I don't see how they could patent defragging a disk. Lets not get
CL> crazy here. ext3 does a decent job of not fragmenting files
CL> unnecessarily, can we really gain much more than the current
CL> readahead solution?

I think the operative word here is "unnecessarily". Desktop hard
drives stay full once they fill up. Very few people clear off more
than 20% once they've run out of disk space. Linux is better than most
at avoiding fragmentation, but no (non-repacking) algorithm works well
when only 5-20% disk space remains.

I really wish ext3 had a defrag utility which worked.

/Benny