Re: yum-deltarpm (Was Thread Hijack - Our package management GUI tools need improvement)

What I currently have implemented is something like:
If newRpmSize < 1M ==> drpm is not worth it
if drpmsize > 50% of new rpm size ==> drpm is not worth it

The actual values can be tuned of course, but I guess the idea of a lower bound, coupled with a percentage saving is generally acceptable. Also, preliminary size tests shows big savings for huge packages, so we only need to consider smaller ones carefully.

On 3/11/07, Warren Togami <wtogami redhat com> wrote:
Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>> If you had efficiency threashold at >50% and size of ORIGINAL rpm
>> larger than a certain size (say 1 meg? 10 megs? that would be up to
>> whoever is doing the work and not me, a lurker), it could work.
>>
> Another metric could simply be absolute size of the difference.  If a
> major openoffice.org-core update was only a 25% savings, that would
> still be about 25MB of data.

Err, yes, this is what I meant. =)

Warren Togami
wtogami redhat com