Re: disabling warn_unused_result attribute with FORTIFY_SOURCE?

Matthew Miller wrote:
> My google-fu is failing me; I can't find any documentation on this.
> Apparently, building with -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 results in the
> warn_unused_result attribute being added to every (? or maybe just many)

Only cases without valid cases where ignoring the value might be correct.

> fuction. In turn, this makes many perfectly good programs spit out hundreds
> of warnings. I'm not sure this is necessarily good.

Fix the code.  All those warnings are problems.

> Unlike other warnings, though, there doesn't seem to be a way to turn it
> off. Is there one I'm missing?

There is no way.

> I'd like to clean up all the real errors and turn on -Werror....

Then you have to fix all those warnings, too.  Programs which fail to
test return values are unreliable at best.