Re: Filesystem-local databases in mlocate

On Sun, Mar 18, 2007 at 12:27:27PM +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le dimanche 18 mars 2007 à 12:19 +0100, Axel Thimm a écrit :
>
> > We're certainly not there yet to disallow connecting to NFS3 servers
> > (or anything but NFSv4).
>
> However for the proposition to work the new mlocate must exist server
> (to create the files) and client-side (to read them). Is it reasonable
> to expect both ends to switch to a not-even-yet-released mlocate but not
> be able to do nfsv4 ?

With mlocate you will not really have a choice when it the changes are
applied, while with NFS it's an admin's choice to use NFS3 or NFSv4,
and 3 still has the larger share and will probably do so long after
mlocate introduces these changes.

And NFS is not the only remote filesystem, nor the only filesystem in
general where this will be applied. Other prominent fs that will
benefit from this setup are GFS and openafs.

So we need not only a solution that works with NFSv4, but NFS3 and
other filesystems as well. Therefore we can't rely on NFSv4 specifica.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net