Re: too many deamons by default - F7 test 2 live cd

On Mon, 2007-03-19 at 12:29 +0100, Benny Amorsen wrote:
> JB> cpuspeed is very useful, especially in the case of a laptop which
> JB> several people use as their desktop. Your narrow definition of a
> JB> desktop is perhaps too limiting.
>
> cpuspeed really isn't optional on modern desktop machines either.
> Rahul Sundaram may have lots of machines with fixed clockspeeds, but
> that is no reason to not support newer stuff.

GNOME Power Manager can control CPU speed with policy set in the
session, usually saving power more aggressively than cpuspeed. It also
has the benefit of using a HAL addon rather than a system service, which
is only loaded if the machine is frequency scale supported.

So really, I think the system daemon can be stopped by default, and
leave it there if some admin wants to install it on a big server.

Richard.