No shape and sync extensions in xorg?

Dennis Jacobfeuerborn d.jacobfeuerborn at conversis.de
Wed Mar 21 23:16:31 UTC 2007

Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-03-18 at 18:43 +0100, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
>> Hi,
>> When I try to enable the desktop effects (ie. compiz) I get the following
>> output:
>>
>> [dennis at nexus ~]$ desktop-effects
>> compiz: No sync extension
>> The program 'gnome-window-decorator' received an X Window System error.
>> This probably reflects a bug in the program.
>> The error was 'BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)'.
>>    (Details: serial 426 error_code 8 request_code 72 minor_code 0)
>>    (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
>>     that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
>>     To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
>>     option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
>>     backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)
>> Xlib:  extension "SHAPE" missing on display ":0.0".
>
> Your X config file has a Modules section, and it doesn't contain a line
> for extmod.

Things are back to normal even though the Modules section still doesn't
contain a line for extmod. Also I cannot reproduce this anymore under
either nv or nvidia so I'm not really sure what has caused this in the
first place. The only other change I made is I removed the "irqpoll" and
"crashkernel" options from the kernel. The machine was unstable but a BIOS
upgrade fixed this so they were no longer necessary (kdump complained that
the kernel was unsupported anyway).

> You claim to be using the nv driver later in the thread, but compiz
> isn't going to work with that setup, period, because we don't have a DRI
> driver for nvidia cards yet.

I am (was) switching between nvidia and nv in order to get beryl/compiz to
work but right now I'm back to nv. I've played with that on my old box
before and never got an error that these extensions are missing. The X
error seems to be gnome-terminal specific and I still get this under beryl
but not when I use x-term.

> More likely you installed nvidia's closed
> driver, and the install script for same added a Modules section that it
> didn't need to.

It apparently added a Modules section with a Load "glx" command but why
would that stop the extmod extension from auto-loading?

Regards,
   Dennis