Yum-presto (deltarpms) ready for testing.

Jonathan Dieter jdieter at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 14:08:27 UTC 2007

> Jonathan Dieter wrote:
> > On Mon, 2007-03-26 at 21:02 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> >> Sure. Different output with 0.2.6 and  yum -d5.
> > <snip>
> >>    File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/yum/plugins.py", line 153, in run
> >>      func(conduitcls(self, self.base, conf, **kwargs))
> >>    File "/usr/lib/yum-plugins/presto.py", line 85, in postresolve_hook
> >>      (chosen_drpm, installed, local) =
> >> prestoTransaction.find_available_drpms(conduit, newpkg)
> >>    File "/usr/share/presto/prestoTransaction.py", line 48, in
> >> find_available_drpms
> >>      if os.path.exists(newpkg.po.localpath):
> >> AttributeError: YumInstalledPackage instance has no attribute 'localpath'
> >>

> >> Rahul
> >>
> > Well, at least I've moved the problem forward a few lines of code,
> > worthless as that is.  Try 0.2.7 (again with -d 5, please), and let's
> > see if I've finally got it fixed!
>
> Fresh installation of Fedora Core 6
>
> Yum install deltarpm version 3.4-1 from Fedora Extras
> Install yum-presto version 0.2.9-1 from the wiki page
> wget the repo file into /etc/yum.repos.d. Verified that it is enabled
> Disable updates and extras repository. Core repo is left enabled.
>
> Here is the output:
>
> yum -d10 update
> Running "config" handler for "presto" plugin
> Running "config" handler for "installonlyn" plugin
> Yum Version: 3.0
> COMMAND: yum -d10
> Installroot: /
> Setting up Update Process
> Setting up repositories
> Running "postreposetup" handler for "presto" plugin
> Setting up Presto
> Reading Presto metadata in from local files
> No drpms available for presto
> No drpms available for core
> Reading repository metadata in from local files
> Setting up Package Sacks
> Reading Local RPMDB
> Building updates object
> No Packages marked for Update/Obsoletion
>
> If I enable updates and extras yum does starts downloading header files.
>
> Rahul
Yeah, that's how it's supposed to work.  The presto repository *only*
contains yum-presto, so you'll get automatic presto updates.

Do a normal yum update with updates and extras.  If you want to
understand why (and aren't sick of extremely long explanations), read
on.

Presto works on top of whatever repositories it's been made for (at the
moment, only updates and extras).  The idea is that livna could set up
their own presto repository and so could freshrpms.  For people without
presto, it would work as a normal repository, while for people with
presto, it would be a presto-enhanced respository.

There are two ways to tell presto when there's a presto repository:
1. In the repository file (i.e. fedora-updates.repo), add a deltaurl
with the presto repository location (should work with deltamirrorlist as
well)
2. In the presto.conf file in /etc/yum/pluginconf.d.  You make a section
with the name of the repository (much like yum does if you use a
centralized yum.conf) and add the deltaurl under it.

At the moment, we are using the second way because we don't want to mess
around with fedora-updates.repo and fedora-extras.repo on people's
systems.  If a repository was using presto themselves, they would
release their .repo file using the first method.

Sorry I've been so long-winded.

Jonathan