Yum-presto (deltarpms) ready for testing.

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Thu Mar 29 00:43:08 UTC 2007

Jonathan Dieter wrote:

> So yeah, I'm curious.  Have you managed to do your update yet?  If you
> have, what kind of savings did you see?

The yum transaction failed with a unsigned gpg key error. Turned off gpg
key check and reran yum. Yum showed it was downloading 400+ MB but
proceeded to use the rpms build in the cache by presto in the previous
run. However it ended up showing now savings at all in the presto log.
You might want to check how the plugin is handling failed gpg checks.

Did a fresh installation again with the default set of packages. Turned
off gpg key. Ran yum install yum first followed by yum update. Here is
the presto log.

Download Size (without DRPM),Download Size (with DRPM),Percentage
Savings,Total Percentage Savings
493372,132236,74,74
509267102,126959924,76,76

Pretty good savings and the system seems to be functioning as expected
in my limited testing. At this point it might be useful to put the
plugin in the repository atleast in the devel branch and get more
mirrors using the drpms for wider testing. We should consider having
this plugin enabled and installed by default for Fedora 7 release.

Rahul