can fedora has the animation grub like suse?

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu May 24 01:29:46 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 23 May 2007 21:09:49 Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
> Which would be another ten seconds uselessly wasted.  Why can't we set
> the timeout be as short as possible while still allowing it to be
> interrupted in the case of something truly terribly bad, and let the
> code that runs after grub is done accept input and perhaps reboot to
> grub with a longer timeout if necessary.  It certainly has plenty of
> time while the rest of the boot process runs.

If we no longer do a modeswitch at the point where we start the countdown, a
timeout of 3 may be good.  On many machines it just takes too long for the
modeswitch to finish or for screenreaders to kick in.

> (We already do this in reverse when laptops hibernate; the grub
> timeout is awfully short then.  In fact, it kind of makes me wonder
> why grub bothers to display the splash image in this case since it's
> only there long enough to make it look like the hardware is crapping
> out.)

We do it in hibernate to protect you from data corruption.  If we allowed you
to boot something else the risk of modifying a file system you had mounted in
your Linux session that wasn't quite umounted cleanly can lead to nasty data
corruption which is a bad bad thing.  Again here, if we stop doing the
countdown in a graphical mode it will get even shorter.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora