Announcing Fedora 7 Test 4 (6.93)

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue May 1 16:21:47 UTC 2007

Jesse Keating <jkeating <at> redhat.com> writes:
> All our system config tools are GTK.  The installer is GTK.  Our applications
> like gnome-power-manager and NetworkManager and smolt and etc.. are all GTK.

That's undeniable fact, but from there to saying that KDE "is not our best foot
forward", it's a big leap. Heck, Mandriva uses KDE as their default desktop and
yet most of their admin tools at least used to be written in GTK+ (I'm not sure
if they still are). Seamless integration is not simply a matter what toolkit
the apps use.

IMHO, the best way to achieve integration is to use a common theme for both
GNOME and KDE. And in fact Fedora even ships one, too bad it's no longer the
default. :-( But I may well be the only one still using Bluecurve...

> Our work went into GDM to improve login experience.  Our Fast User Switching
> is designed for gnome.  I can go on and on.

Yes, upstream GNOME is getting new features, and yes, several Red Hat / Fedora
developers are actively involved in that. But this doesn't mean nobody is
working on adding features to KDE. (Just look at what's being done for KDE 4.0,
for example.) Probably even some of the same features. (KDM already supports
user images, for example, and has for some time already.) The fact that the
work isn't done by Red Hat developers doesn't mean it isn't good software for
Fedora to ship.

        Kevin Kofler