Announcing Fedora 7 Test 4 (6.93)

chasd chasd at silveroaks.com
Tue May 1 16:29:46 UTC 2007

I realize I am late on this thread, but I include my 2 US cents --

On Apr 30, 2007, Max Spevack wrote:

> Most importantly: call something what it is, and *don't* give
> something a
> name that doesn't make it clear what it is.
>
> As such, several of our names made a lot of sense:
>
> Fedora 7 Gnome Live CD
> Fedora 7 KDE Live CD
> Fedora 7 Everything

I think "Everything" isn't descriptive enough, and "Fedora" without
any qualifiers isn't enough either.
My recommendation :

Fedora 7 Base Install ( CD or DVD )
Fedora 7 Base Live CD ( also installable )
Fedora 7 KDE Live CD ( also installable )
Fedora 7 Inclusive Repository ( network Installable )

The "Base" spin is what all other spins are based on, but it is not a
"basic" installation.
I think the old word "Core" had too many connotations about how small
the installation was. The term "Base" in some ways is similar to the
term "Core" ,  but does not seem to indicate "small."

The word "Everything" is too nebulous for me. Maybe "Inclusive" is
not the best term either, but it gets closer to what I think
describes that repo.
Sorry, the term "Prime" only makes me think of a specific member of
the Transformers.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming . . .

Charles Dostale