Yum-presto 0.3.10

Jonathan Dieter jdieter at gmail.com
Tue May 1 16:34:45 UTC 2007

Just a quick note to say yum-presto 0.3.10 (which will be the last in
the 0.3 series) is now in the presto repository with some fixes and a
few new issues to deal with.  For more information about yum-presto,
check out http://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/presto.

First off, the fixes:
* A "*" is added to the repository of a deltarpm'd package in the
package list.  There used to be one by the name of the package, but that
screwed up depsolving.  It shouldn't cause any problems next to the
repository.
* Yum-presto is now able to validate two packages with the same name but
different arches correctly.  This was actually a bug in deltarpm, and
upstream has provided a patch to fix the problem.

I have pushed a new version of deltarpm with the upstream patch to the
presto repository that goes with the new version of yum-presto.  I have
also reworked the presto repository so that it should work correctly for
fc6 and devel for the i386 and x86_64 arches.  Get the new repo file at
http://www.lesbg.com/jdieter/presto/yum-presto.repo.  The old repository
file points to FC6 i386.

I will *not* push the new version to either FC-6 or devel until the new
version of deltarpm has been pushed.  I'm also not sure whether the
development freeze applies to presto (as it's *not* being included by
default in F7).

Just a heads up that there are many i386 packages in the x86_64
distribution that will *not* have deltarpms.  This is because rpm uses
file-colors to keep the the 32 bit binary from overwriting the 64 bit
binary for any packages that store files in /bin, /usr/bin, /sbin,
and /usr/sbin (and there may be other locations).  Deltarpm can't build
the new rpm when these files are missing.  I'm not sure what the
long-term solution is (though there seems to be some debate on that on
fedora-maintainers).

The next version of yum-presto will attempt to rebuild files from rpms
kept in the cache, if they're available and may (if I can work out a
good method) make deltas of the repository data.  I will also remove the
ability to set presto repositories in the presto.conf file.  This
information should be either built into the repomd.xml file or the
repositories' .repo files.

Jonathan