bcm43xx_mac80211 (was Re: Announcing Fedora 7 Test 4 (6.93))

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at seznam.cz
Mon May 7 11:48:53 UTC 2007

Will Woods wrote:

> Yeah, you'll want to use NetworkManager to manage the device. First you
> will need firmware:
>
> 1) Install bcm43xx-fwcutter
> 2) Get a Broadcom-distributed driver to cut the firmware out of
> # See the list in /usr/share/doc/bcm43xx-fwcutter-006/README
> # For the newer driver you'll need 4.x firmware. I recommend:
> http://downloads.openwrt.org/sources/broadcom-wl-4.80.53.0.tar.bz2
> 3) Unpack the driver and cut out the firmware
> # tar -jxvf broadcom-wl-*.tar.bz2
> # bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware broadcom-wl-*/kmod/wl_apsta.o
>
> You might have to blacklist the old driver first if you're using the new
> one:
>
> # echo 'blacklist bcm43xx' >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
>
> But at this point you should be able to reboot and have working
> wireless. Hooray!
>
> -w

It should but it doesn't for me. Neither anaconda nor installed system created a
device for the wireless card, while on FC6 and F7T1 LiveCD it worked without
problems. These steps only lead to initializing the card by the driver (or what
does it do), but device (even after reboot) isn't still there (i.e. for me that
the eth1 device does not exist). I attach dmesg and lspci output. Any clues?

Thanks,
Martin