Legality of Fedora in production environment

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Fri May 11 14:02:43 UTC 2007

On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 05:01:24PM +0400, Dmitry Butskoy wrote:
> During such a checking, the user is obliged now to show all hardcopy
> license documents (with original signatures and stamps). But there are
> no any such things for distros like Fedora, which have been just
> downloaded from Internet, hence the user shows nothing. In this
> situation the police *must* temporarily confiscate system blocks (up to
> 2 weeks) for further checking...
> Certainly, after the checking period all hardware comes back, but such
> troubles are not allowed for normal business.
>

> Are there any similar troubles in other countries?

Not that I am aware of. There are plenty of countries where the state is
empowered to enforce copyright but they don't usually require bogus paperwork.

> How it can be avoided?

Print out your own copy ? Or if there is a requirement that it comes from
the "supplier" then perhaps someone can prepare a suitable example on the
Fedora website that anyone can download, sign for themselves and print out.

I've met people who worked in companies with similar idiotic audit policies
and they used to just print out the GPL

Since you apparently have a boxed set supplier who is empowered somehow to
print such certificates then presumably anyone else can with a bit of thinking
set up the same way.

Alan