Making beagle optional

David Nielsen david at lovesunix.net
Mon May 14 17:20:01 UTC 2007

man, 14 05 2007 kl. 17:51 +0200, skrev Gianluca Sforna:
> On 5/14/07, Alexander Larsson <alexl at redhat.com> wrote:
> > I just commited a change to comps which makes beagle optional instead of
> > installed by default. The idea with beagle (and tracker) is nice, but
>
> Does this means both are optional now?
> If so, isn't it better to have one installed but, if not considered
> stable enough, just disabled by default?

Both have been optional for a while, we installed Beagle by default
since FC6 but this is not going to happen anymore since Beagle out of
the box still consumes 100% CPU. Tracker in this sense is much better,
I've been giving it a trial run for a while now, it seems stable and
doesn't spin out of control.. sadly it doesn't cover as many formats as
Beagle does.

Both I think needs more use cases outside of replacing the search
dialog, something like Banshee or Rhythmbox could arrange their media
libraries using this kind of technology. The fact is that this
technology has been around for a while and yet nobody is really using it
to make the desktop better. Hopefully this will change for F8.

- David Nielsen