Fedora Rel-Eng Meeting Recap 2007-MAY-21

Jarod Wilson jwilson at redhat.com
Tue May 22 21:12:31 UTC 2007

John Poelstra wrote:
> == F7 Blocker Status ==
> * blocker list is down to 45 at the moment
> * wwoods
>   * believe that mdraid is higher priority than iwl3945 because it keeps
> people from being able to install/upgrade, especially people who are
> using RAID on IDE drives in FC6 - i.e. people who have been with us a
> while. the hard-core folx we wanna keep.

I've got an mdraid box I'm trying to try out the latest fixes on, but
ran into an interesting issue with the host protected area on one of my
drives. The older pata drivers happily used this area for storage,
ignoring bios requests not to use it. The new libata drivers actually
respect it. As a result, one of the drives in my mdraid set was
unusable, because the partition table shows one of the partitions
extends beyond the last legal sector of the drive. Fun.

I've just reinstalled FC6 on the box, using only drives NOT impacted by
this so as to actually test the mdraid upgrade path, but it'll be
tomorrow before I get to it now.

Once that's done, I'll see what I can do to see if the kernel option
libata.ignore_hpa can be used to help those who don't really wanna nuke
their entire system to move from FC6 to F7.

--
Jarod Wilson
jwilson at redhat.com