What happen to Wireshark?

Steve Dickson SteveD at redhat.com
Wed May 23 17:19:53 UTC 2007

Will Woods wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-05-23 at 09:45 -0400, Steve Dickson wrote:
>> I just installed test4 and notice Wireshark was not
>> available (not even as an option) but tcpdump was installed
>> by default... that is totally wrong..
>
> Wireshark's still available, it's just not in the comps file for the
> default spin. 'yum install wireshark' will still work post-install. Or
> you could put it in your kickstart file if you're installing over the
> network.
True... but when your asking asking someone to send you
an binary network trace (a *usable* network track at is) and
all they have (by default) is tcpdump, time is wasted
(on both sides) because they send up sending a useless
trace.. Plus having them yum install something they are
not familiar with can be a hard sell... why complicate
things by requiring people to take an extra step...

> If it was *totally wrong* I'd think someone would have mentioned it
> after one of the first three test releases.
Well I did notice when test4 came out:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-maintainers/2007-May/msg00339.html
but I sent the question to the wrong list... and test4 was the
first cd installed I did... I've generally just been doing yum updates
and I've always had wireshark installed...

 > Maybe it's merely sub-optimal?
Obvious you don't use network traces very often,
otherwise you would not be asking that question... ;-)

>> tshark (the non-gui version of wireshark) should be
>> installed by default with the option installed the gui
>> (as it was in FC6) and then make tcpdump the optional
>> install since at this point its pretty much brain dead
>> wrt to later protocols (ala nfsv4)...
>
> This is worth some discussion, but we're in a deep freeze. The final F7
> tree will be built in a few days. I'll defer to wiser folk about how
> much of an impact this would have, but I think it might have to wait for
> F8. Sorry about that. But hey, F8t1 is only 2-3 months away..
wireshark (i.e. ethereal) has been part of the install since
FC1... so I have to question, why was it even taken out
of the comp file in the first place?? Was there mail sent
out saying that wireshark will not no longer be on the cd?
If so how long ago??? please send me the pointer...
(I try not to miss these types of mails... :-\ )

Now afar as being in the deep freeze... it comes down to
the expectations of our community.. people who use
these types of tools will expect them to be there...
and if they are not, it will just give the Ubuntu
people another stick to beats over the head with...

We (imo) mistakenly removed a very useful tool.. one that
is very well supported making it very stable and has been there
since FC1 (at least tethereal, the non-gui one). and now we have
a chance to correct that mistake.. before the final release..
so lets correct this mistake instead of coming up with a number
excuses of why we can't do this and basically making our
community take an extra step for something they expect
to be there...

steved.