iwl3945 status in fedora7

John W. Linville linville at redhat.com
Thu May 24 17:34:17 UTC 2007

On Thu, May 24, 2007 at 09:10:53PM +0530, Deependra Shekhawat wrote:

> Step 4) iwconfig wlan0 essid "BSNL" channel "8" freq "2.447G" enc
"<key>"

(FWIW, the channel and freq parts really should not be necessary.)

OK, voodoo time...

I suspect that "iwconfig wlan0" at this point will show a "0/100"
link quality and may show "Not associated" for Access Point.  True?

If so, please try these two steps:

	iwconfig wlan0 essid "BSNL"
	iwconfig wlan0

If link quality still shows 0/100, repeat a time or two (or three).
I find that I usually get an association on the second try, and a
non-zero signal level on the third.  Does this happen for you?

I don't have a good fault theory here yet.  I suspect it has something
to do with the MLME functionality in mac80211 (duh), and possibly the
interaction between that and the hardware-based scanning that the
iwl3945 uses.

Anyway, once you get a non-zero link quality then proceed to the
"dhclient wlan0" step.

Does that "work" now?  (I know it isn't pretty...)

John
--
John W. Linville
linville at redhat.com