KDE logout options with F8

Joachim Frieben jfrieben at gmx.de
Thu Nov 1 06:49:21 UTC 2007

> Please don't drag upstream X.org into this, xdm is a horror upstream is
> glad gdm/kdm exist and merely continue shipping xdm as something for
> system builders..
>
> it isn't valuable or valid.
>
> Dave.

Nevertheless, a user who simply wants a plain X environment is encumbered by packages he hasn't asked for [GDM + GNOME requires] without even the possibility to dismiss them during install.
I suppose that a user who deliberately unchecks GNOME and KDE does know what he wants and does and imposing GDM onto him is against the often cited 'freedom of choice' unless you consider tracking down and uninstalling the related packages by the user post install as a reasonable duty.
I have used XDM for a couple of years back when Red Hat Linux still booted into runlevel 3 by default, and I had no complaints about it.