file system mount

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 19:47:02 UTC 2007

David Zeuthen wrote:

>> How about giving a hint as to which _physical_ disk it is?  Imagine you
>> had a couple of scsi controllers each with a bunch of disks, plus some
>> sata and USB volumes and you add one (which might currently have labels
>> that match other drives) and want to format it.  Which one is it?  Or a
>> drive in the system fails and isn't detected.  How do you find which one
>> it was?
>
> You mean like showing "/ (/dev/sdb1)" instead of "/"? It's doable..

No - sdb1 tells me what order the OS detected it it.  It says nothing
about the physical connection or even which controller is involved.
Does anyone actually use this system with a large number of disks that
sometimes need attention?  If the drive that was sdb yesterday fails in
a way that keeps it from being detected, sdb will mean something else
after a reboot.

> Might make sense in some cases. FWIW, I'm (or alexl) is going to revisit
> most of this before F9 as part of the gio/gvfs hacking. Stay tuned!

>> How do you change the UUID's on md arrays?  I often clone machines by
>> separating RAID1 drives and letting them sync to new partners.  If those
>> separated drives ever find themselves back in the same machine, I
>> wouldn't want them to rebuild automatically.
>
> I'm failing to see why this question relevant to this discussion?

Same general rant about not being able to tell/control what is really
going on.  I don't like the system to guess, especially when I know the
answer will likely be wrong.

> I'm simply just asking the Anaconda to a) use UUID instead of LABEL (if
> applicable; e.g. some FS's don't have UUID); and b) use some sane labels
> by default. The user is still free to edit /etc/fstab to use LABEL=
> instead of UUID= and/or relabel his drives or do whatever he wants.

And similarly, I'd like a way to peg these to physical
controller/cable/drive selects because the UUIDs and labels are all
going to be the same on disks that I've cloned with DD or letting
RAID1's rebuild.  I know you can't on USB, but about everything else has
a controller/target/LUN concept to identify it.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com