When will CVS be replaced by modern version control system?

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Nov 8 14:58:21 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-08 at 09:31 -0500, Jonathan S. Shapiro wrote:
> I have to say that since we switched to mercurial we haven't looked
> back. We are finding advantages to distributed VCS even though our
> workflow model is basically centralized.
>
> For purposes of centralized workflow, the main change is that
> centralized processing is triggered by "push" rather than by "commit".
> With this exception, the workflow is basically unchanged relative to
> other centralized workflows.
Right things are different, that's all.

> What hg is buying us is the following:
[..]

> I'm not pushing for any change. I'm just trying to answer the workflow
> question.
Where in Fedora's package development would you see niches to apply
these aspects? I don't see any.

Finally, being a long term CVS user, would has very mixed experiences
wrt. SVN, and who has recently been confronted with both git and
mercurial, I can't deny finding both git and hg as not to be suitable
for centralized development. They don't really buy much.

Ralf