When will be CVS replaced by modern version control system?

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Nov 8 18:34:50 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-08 at 18:40 +0100, Till Maas wrote:
> On Mi November 7 2007, Andy Shevchenko wrote:
>
> > Modern vcs requires additional space for this operation.
>
> When I try to emulate this with CVS, I also need the additional space.
Right _you_ would have to have _one_ modified source tree in parallel if
_you_ would want to do this. These so called modern VCS force you to do
so. Also, with svn etc. you have the whole history bloating and
polluting your checkout (Now try recursively grepping a deep source-tree
with a long history. Try gcc's (svn) source-tree to experience what I am
referring to).

> > And second, I doubt in usefull status of this feature. IMHO, in practice
> > (another words 'very often') you need to make diff between vcs' *.spec and
> > current. You just make copy *.spec to *.spec.orig and use simple diff
> > command.
>
> How can I do this when I have uncommited changes in the spec, but there is a
> newer version in the repository?
How is that a problem with CVS? With CVS you typically work on a
checkout, so it's up to you how to handle mergers.

Ralf