Codec Buddy misleading.

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Fri Nov 9 22:36:01 UTC 2007

On Fri, Nov 09, 2007 at 08:31:42PM +0000, Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:
> You don't get it, it wouldn't solve the problem.
>
> You'd still have to go to the courts in order to prove that they are
> software patents and as such invalid.
>
> Do you have tens of thousands of Euros?

I think you are the one missing the point Rui. Anyone can sue anyone for
anything - they are just likely to lose if they do something stupid.

>From an EU perspective the patent situation is passably clear and there is
some caselaw for purely software patents. There is also some caselaw on
DeCSS (Finland) although it disagrees with UK caselaw and will eventually
no doubt end up in the european court for harmonisation.

So from an EU perspective it makes a lot of sense. Unfortuantely from a US
perspective it makes rather less sense because the US idea of contributory
infringement is rather unfriendly.