/tftpboot vs. /var/tftp vs. something else?

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Tue Nov 13 01:09:10 UTC 2007

On Mon, Nov 12, 2007 at 07:46:37PM -0500, Chuck Anderson wrote:

> For many years, I've used /var/tftp as a location for storing TFTP
> data.  This mirrors the use of /var/ftp and /var/www.  I therefore
> suggest we change the default configuration in /etc/xinetd.d/tftp to
> reflect this.

FHS says:

Applications must generally not add directories to the top level of
/var. Such directories should only be added if they have some
system-wide implication, and in consultation with the FHS mailing list.

Another possibility could be /var/lib/tftp. tftp doesn't exactly qualify
for what should be in /var/lib, but it is not clearly wrong either.

--
Pat